This being a week that includes a Holiday - I have a lot of activities to suggest! I am planning a family 4th of July "STAY-CATION" for my own family this year and was pleased to find a ton of great options that are not only fun, but many that are free or cheap.
Here are the best bets for this weekend and the week ahead:
Thursday, July 2: Movies Movies Movies!
- $1 Movies at Merchants Walk Stadium in Marietta and Park 12 Cobb Stadium Cinemas
10:00 a.m. Mall Cop or The Tale of Despereaux
- Pack a picnic and take the crew to Free Movie Night at Atlantic Station: Grease starts tonight at dusk. On our menu: Cold fried chicken, pasta salad, homemade brownies and lemonade. If you don't feel like making it yourself, check out Six Beans or Alons for some great ready made meal options!
Friday, July 3: Get Ready for the 4th!
The American Girl Store at Northpoint Mall at 4 p.m.
Your girl can learn how to make a pretty ribbon headband that she can instantly wear in her hair. Inspired by a craft from American Girl® magazine. FREE
Make a 4th of July Dessert with the help of the kiddos!
Saturday, July 4: A Classic Southern 4th of July Celebration at Serenbe or a Festive In-town Celebration at Atlantic Station
If you have kids who happen to love Disney music (who doesn't?). The Radio Disney July 4th Celebration will take place in Atlantic Station from 1:00-5:00 p.m. Festivities include games, contests, balloons, clowns, face painting, caricatures, a cake walk, relay races & more. The Well Reds will take the stage at 3:00 p.m. for a free concert.
The settlement of Serenbe is 40,000 acres of rural Georgia is about the size of Napa Valley, and is one of the last undeveloped stretches of land in the Atlanta area. The founders of Serenbe realize that their largely untouched 900 acres presented a short window of opportunity for creating a community in a new and better way.
- 8 a.m.: Blue Eyed Daisy Bakeshop Opens for Breakfast (Special Menu)
- Visit the Farmers' Market on the Selborne Green for Homemade Ice Cream, Hil Doughnuts (in the morning), The Hil's Burgers & Hotdogs, Bread & Butter Pickles, Homemade Chips (for lunch)
- Outdoor Bar with Mimosas, Bloody Mary's, Beer & Margaritas (portion of proceeds benefit Chattahoochee Hill Country Conservancy)
- 10 a.m.: Annual July 4th Parade
- 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.: Steel Drum Band on the Selborne Green
- 5 p.m.: Back Dock Pig Roast at The Hil (Bar service will be available).
All Bank of America Cardholders gain free access to the Atlanta Zoo this weekend. Don't miss the Petting Zoo10:00am - 4:30pm - Check out the Boer goats, the Kunekune pigs and more @ Orkin's Children's Zoo! Click here for more info on the promotion.
Monday, July 6: A Puppet Show
Take them to the Roswell Culteral Arts Center for a puppet show about emotions. After the show, learn how to make a puppet.
Mon at 10am
Cost: Adults $5; Children $4 (Cash or check only); Workshop $3
Tuesday, July 7: Story Time at Pottery Barn Kids
Check out your local Pottery Barn Kids for their Book Club program. Members receive an official book club card at their first visit and a special gift after their 5th visit. Storytime is every Tuesday at 11:00 a.m.
Wednesday July 8: Take them Blueberry Picking & Making Muffins
Take the munchkins for some good old fashioned fun picking blueberries at Berry Patch Farms. When you get home, try this easy recipe for blueberry muffins and let them create tomorrow's breakfast with the fruits of their labor. Don't forget the camera!
Thursday July 9: Movies Movies Movies!
$1 Movies at 10:00 a.m.
Merchants Walk Stadium in Marietta and Park 12 Cobb Stadium Cinemas
Pack a picnic and enjoy the Free Movie Night at Atlantic Station
Friday, July 10: Bowling Bonanza
Did you know that kids bowl for FREE all summer long at AMF Marietta & Suburban Lanes in Decatur? All you have to do is go online and register and you and your brood can hit the lanes for free. It's that easy!